Air fryer salmon bites are a healthy main dish that comes together in under 30 minutes, making them perfect for a busy weeknight. Serve the flaky seasoned salmon in a salad, meal bowl, or just eat them as-is!
There are so many ways to cook salmon, from Honey Glazed Salmon to Baked Salmon Salad and Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes, but I have to say that my favorite method lately has been to pop it in the air fryer. It’s so easy and quick, and the salmon always comes out beautifully cooked and flaky.
These crispy air fryer salmon bites are the perfect example of why I love the air fryer so much. Quick, easy, and healthy, these bite-sized salmon pieces are super flavorful thanks to a combination of savory seasonings, umami marinade, and just enough sweetness to make things interesting.
You can serve air fryer salmon bites with a side of roasted vegetables, or in salads, meal bowls, and wraps. However you serve them, they’re sure to be a hit!
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Salmon Bites Recipe
Here's why these air fryer salmon bites are on frequent rotation in my household:
- Healthy. All fish is a healthy lean protein, but salmon is a real standout. It’s full of omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for heart health.
- Quick and easy. These salmon bites come together in under 30 minutes, making them perfect for those days when you’re too busy to make an elaborate meal, but don’t want takeout either.
- So flavorful. Between the sweet-and-savory marinade and seasoning blend, these air fryer salmon bites pack in a lot of flavor.
- Kid-friendly. Even picky eaters will love these air fryer salmon bites!
What You’ll Need
Here are all of the ingredients you’ll need when making air fryer salmon bites. Make sure to check out the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact quantities for each ingredient.
- Skinless salmon fillets – Because we’re marinating the salmon and then cooking it quickly in the air fryer, it’s fine to use skinless fillets—the fish will still be moist.
For the marinade:
- Olive oil
- Coconut aminos or soy sauce – Tamari is another option if you’re looking for a gluten-free alternative to soy sauce.
- Sesame oil – Toasted sesame oil adds depth to the marinade.
- Sesame seeds
- Maple syrup or brown sugar – A little bit of sweetness brings balance.
- Spices – Sweet paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried cayenne pepper.
- For serving – Limes, avocado, veggies, and rice or your favorite grain.
What Is the Healthiest Salmon to Eat?
Wild-caught Pacific salmon is the healthiest salmon to eat. It's packed with protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and other vital nutrients like potassium. Farm-raised salmon is a more budget-friendly option, but it may not have as much omega-3s and vitamins.
How to Make Air Fryer Salmon Bites
Here’s a rundown of the process of making these air fryer salmon bites:
- Dry the fish. Pat the fillets dry with paper towels and cut them into one-inch cubes.
- Make the marinade. Whisk together all of the ingredients in a dish or bowl that will fit the salmon.
- Marinate the salmon. Place the salmon in a dish with the marinade and marinate for at least 15 minutes in the refrigerator, or up to 24 hours if you have more time.
- Air fry the salmon. Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes. Arrange the salmon bites in an even layer in the air fryer basket and cook at 400ºF for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve. Plate the salmon and serve with lime, avocado, veggies, and rice or your favorite grain.
Tips for Success
Follow these additional pointers for perfect air fryer salmon bites.
- Air fry in batches. If all of the salmon bites don't fit in a single layer in your air fryer basket, cook them in batches. Crowding them in the basket will prevent them from cooking properly—air needs to be able to circulate around each piece.
- Don’t over-cook. The key to perfect salmon is knowing exactly when it’s done. It should flake, or separate along the white lines, when you press down on it with a fork.
- Marinate for 24 hours max. More marinating time doesn’t mean better results! At a certain point, a marinade will begin to break down the proteins in fish and meat, leaving it mushy and unappetizing.
If you'd like to switch things up with your air fryer salmon bites, try one of these variations:
- Replace the marinade ingredients with your favorite store-bought marinade or sauce.
- For an Asian-inspired twist, add some freshly grated ginger to the marinade and swap the spices for Chinese five spice powder.
- Swap the maple syrup or brown sugar with honey.
- Use smoked paprika for a bit of smoky flavor.
Pair your air fryer salmon bites with a side of Easy Roasted Zucchini or Bang Bang Cauliflower, or a simple salad for a delicious, healthy meal. You can also serve them in meal bowls (like my Teriyaki Quinoa Bowls) or tuck them into wraps, lettuce cups, or tacos—this is a great way to use leftovers too!
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover salmon bites can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat them in the microwave or air fryer.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Although these air fryer salmon bites are best enjoyed fresh, if you need to keep the leftovers for more than 2 days, you can freeze them. Transfer the salmon to an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat as described above.
More Healthy Fish Recipes
- Blackened Fish Tacos
- The Best Salmon Tostadas
- Quinoa Sushi with Tuna & Mango
- Cinnamon & Pecan Crusted Salmon
- Pan-Seared Crispy Fish Tacos
Air Fryer Salmon Bites
- 4 ounce skinless salmon fillets (450g)
- 2 limes (cut into quarters)
- Avocado, veggies and rice or your favorite grain for garnish
- Pat any excess moisture from the salmon fillet with paper towels and chop into one-inch cubes.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade (coconut aminos, oil, sesame oil, maple syrup, minced garlic, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion and garlic powder, sesame seeds)
- Marinate the salmon for at least 15 minutes in the refrigerator, or up to 24 hours if you have more time.
- Cooking: The air fryer should be warmed up, about 5 minutes. Arrange the salmon cubes in one even layer in the air fryer basket and cook at 400 for 5 to 7 minutes. If they don't all fit in a single layer in your air fryer basket, cook them in batches.
- Serve with lime, avocado, veggies and rice or your favorite grain.